The University Museum has been a repository of artifacts since Dr. Cyrus Thomas was commissioned to begin collecting for a museum by the first board of Trustees of Southern Illinois Normal University some time before 1871. The Museum formally opened to the public in 1874 and was located in the first Old Main Building. Since then, it has occupied 11 different locations across campus. The Museum has been located in Faner Hall since 1974. The American Association of Museums has accredited the University Museum since 1977. The Museum's 130th Anniversary Year was in 2004.
Curators or Directors
1874-1879 Cyrus Thomas 1879-1917 George Hazen French 1917-1921 Wanda Newsum (Gum) 1921-1931 No Record 1931-1937 Mary Goddard (Steck) 1937-1943 Fred Roy Cagle 1943-1950 John Willis Allen 1950-1970 J. Charles Kelley 1970-1972 Basil C. Hedrick 1972-1975 Carroll L. Riley 1975-1977 Basil C. Hedrick 1977-1978 Darrell W. Harrison (interim) 1978-2000 John Whitlock 2000-2001 Lori Huffman (interim) 2001-Present Dona Bachman